Monday, June 8, 2009

Trip to Japan: Day 8 - Farewell Fukuoka 5月31日

My last day in Fukuoka 福岡 was a short one - my flight to Taiwan departed before 11am. Walking through Nakasu 中洲 around 6:30 in the morning on my way to picking up some breakfast at Mister Donut ミスタードーナツ, I made the following movie, filmed on the same street as the two videos from the evening before. At this early hour, Nakasu belonged to the crows, taxis and casualties of the night just finished (check out the woman at the 2:34 mark):


It should come as no surprise to say I really enjoyed myself in Fukuoka and some of its environs. I've heard nothing but good things about the city from various people over the years, and I saw nothing during my short stay there to question anything that I'd been told. While I wouldn't go so far as to rate Fukuoka a "must see" on a typical tourist's Japan itinerary, it certainly doesn't belong on a "places to avoid list", and if I am ever offered the chance to live and work there someday, I would certainly give it some serious consideration. However, in the meantime, there is the rest of the island of Kyūshū 九州 to explore. Is it too soon to begin planning for my next trip?

(上) A last breakfast at Fukuoka Airport 福岡空港 before departure; (下) The Tonkotsu Rāmen とんこつラーメン souvenir that I picked up at the airport - opened, cooked and ready to eat!:

No comments:

Post a Comment